Benefits Assistant Job Description
A Benefits Assistant helps with the daily running of an organization’s benefits programs.
Many organizations offer their employees comprehensive benefits packages, including health insurance, pension schemes, wellness programs, and stock purchase deals. The faultless administration of these packages saves the organization money and contributes to employee satisfaction and retention.
The Benefits Assistant role is primarily clerical and requires dedication, empathy, and attention to detail.
Similar Job Titles:
Human Resources Associate, Benefits Enrollment Specialist, Benefits Coordinator, Benefits Adviser, Benefits Consultant, Payroll and Benefits Specialist, Benefits Specialist, Benefits Representative, Benefits Administrator
A Benefits Assistant is the first point of contact in all matters relating to an organization’s benefits schemes.
A Benefits Assistant’s tasks include:
- Maintaining employee benefits records
- Handling benefits claims, enrollments, and cancellations
- Coordinating benefits contributions with payroll
- Advising employees on the organization’s benefit programs
- Resolving employee queries
- Researching providers for new or better benefits schemes
- Maintaining records for providers, legislative authorities, and auditors
Employee benefits records represent a vast amount of data that is linked to all aspects of the HR function. A Benefits Assistant maintains the records to ensure they are correct, complete, and readily accessible in the correct formats.
The role requires total attention to detail to guarantee data integrity, and experienced Benefits Assistants devote time to checking and updating the database regularly. Any missing or corrupt records must be fixed immediately before the issue has an impact on payroll or other HR-related areas.
In the case of claims against any of the organization’s benefits schemes, employees require speedy, satisfactory, and uncomplicated resolution. A Benefits Assistant assists employees by providing the correct claim forms, helping them fill them out, and ensuring they are passed on to the correct provider.
Having lodged a claim on behalf of the employee, a Benefits Assistant follows up with the provider to speed up resolution.
In the case of enrollments or cancellations, they perform a similar task by liaising directly with the provider to make sure the process is swift and completed without any hiccups.
Experienced Benefits Assistants nurture contacts within each provider, ensuring that claims, enrollments, and cancellations are completed smoothly and to the benefit of the organization and its employees.
The benefits function can have a massive impact on payroll accounting, as each benefits scheme has its own contributions split between the organization and its employees.
A Benefits Assistant ensures all the benefits data required by the payroll team is correct and complete and that any changes since the last payroll run have been entered into the system.
Benefits schemes can appear daunting to employees, so a Benefits Assistant plays a crucial role in providing clear and unbiased advice.
The advice is based on each employee’s needs and circumstances and may require the employee to divulge sensitive personal information to a Benefits Assistant.
The role requires empathy, integrity, and complete trustworthiness to ensure that employees feel comfortable enough to divulge private details and make the correct benefits scheme choices. A Benefits Assistant also requires detailed knowledge of each scheme’s features to be able to offer valuable advice.
Employees want a fast resolution to any benefits-related queries they may have, so a Benefits Assistant should treat their questions as a matter of priority.
Employees’ queries can be a distraction, so experienced Benefits Assistants set up and communicate specific times each day or week to answer queries. They are then able to devote enough time to handling the queries to the employees’ satisfaction.
Benefits schemes can involve huge costs for an organization, and a Benefits Assistant may be tasked with researching alternatives that deliver better value for money.
This task demands a thorough knowledge of the costs and benefits of each scheme and an ability to analyze and compare similar offerings.
Auditors, providers, and legislative authorities all require periodic reports on the organization’s benefits schemes, and a Benefits Assistant ensures that all the necessary data is available whenever required.
Roles a Benefits Assistant Typically Collaborates With
A Benefits Assistant collaborates with the following people in an organization:
|HR Manager||Compensation and Benefits Manager||Benefits Manager|
|HR Coordinator||Senior HR Specialist||Benefits Counselor|
|Benefits Analyst||Director of Compensation and Benefits||Benefits Enroller|
A Benefits Assistant’s salary typically lies between $47,000 and $64,000 annually in the U.S. The median is $53,750.
A Benefits Assistant’s average salary will be affected by location as follows:
|San Francisco, CA||$67,187|
|New York, NY||$64,661|
Depending on experience, a Benefits Assistant’s salary will change as follows:
|Experience Level||Average Salary|
|< 1 year||$52,265|
[Company] is looking for a reliable and dedicated Benefits Assistant to help administer our wide range of benefits programs.
We are looking for a benefits expert who can handle a broad range of packages and ensure that our benefits schemes run smoothly.
You will be part of a highly professional team and will contribute significantly to the well-being of our employees.
As a Benefits Assistant, you will be responsible for:
- Managing our benefits schemes
- Ensuring employees benefit from the most appropriate schemes
- Liaising with our providers to ensure the best service
- Researching new options with current and new providers
- Helping employees with queries and issues
You need to possess the following qualifications, skills, and behaviors:
- Bachelor’s degree in HR, Payroll, or Accounting
- At least two years’ experience in a benefits admin environment
- Expert knowledge of common Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS)
- Faultless speed, efficiency, and accuracy
- Proven ability to work to deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Thorough knowledge of the benefits environment process
- Clean up your systems and keep all your employee records sorted in a centralized platform with employee record software
- Know exactly what is being achieved by your team in real-time with the best HR analytics software
- Manage all your HR processes easily and effectively with the HR software solutions top companies rely on
- Not getting full productivity from your team? Boost their performance with our choice of the top employee monitoring software solutions
- Recruit the best candidates with the most effective sourcing tools for recruiters
- Bonuses, benefits, and incentives cluttering up your calculations? Make complex payroll calculations simple with commission-based payroll software
- Know exactly what to do to drive your team with employee review software
- Get your new hires working productively faster with the best onboarding software