Computer Programmer Job Description
A Computer Programmer writes code for software solutions, operating systems, and mobile applications. Their job is to turn a program design created by a software developer into a set of instructions that computers can execute.
After writing the code, a Computer Programmer’s job is to test, debug, and troubleshoot it so that they can identify any errors that need to be fixed before the app, program, or feature can be deployed. Even after the program is put to use, it’s the responsibility of the Computer Programmer to maintain it and deploy updates, patches, and other adjustments when necessary.
What Does a Computer Programmer Generally Do?
Depending on the company’s needs, a Computer Programmer can be assigned a variety of coding tasks. Some of the most common ones that they perform are:
- Writing and testing code
- Developing updates
- Determining and fixing errors
- Recoding for other operating systems
- Securing software against threats
Writing and Testing Code
The primary task of a Computer Programmer is to collaborate with web and software developers on writing code for mobile apps and computer software solutions. Depending on the company, Computer Programmers may be assigned tasks similar to those of a web designer. This includes developing the look, feel, and overall functionality of the software.
A Computer Programmer needs to have strong problem-solving skills that enable them to identify and solve issues by testing the code continually.
It’s the job of a Computer Programmer to develop and deploy updates for the programs they help create. This includes different types of updates, such as bug fixes or improved functionalities that boost the overall user experience.
Updates can be simple and require a few days to be completed, but they can also be complex enough that a Computer Programmer needs to work on them for months.
Determining and Fixing Errors
A Computer Programmer is responsible for troubleshooting software solutions and identifying any functionality issues. Whenever a program isn’t working properly, it can be because of errors in the code that a Computer Programmer wrote. When a user has a problem with the program, the Programmer can help determine the exact issue and take care of it as soon as possible.
Recoding for Other Operating Systems
Software solutions are frequently made to be compatible with different operating systems. This means that the Computer Programmer needs to rewrite the code using different coding languages so that the program or application can be used by a wider audience, including Mac, Linux, and Windows users.
In some companies, Computer Programmers are assigned to write the code for SaaS solutions that can be used on different operating systems.
Securing Software Against Threats
With the significant increase in the frequency of cyberattacks, plenty of companies appoint Computer Programmers to be responsible for cybersecurity. This includes identifying and fixing the software’s vulnerabilities and having extensive knowledge of malware that can affect it.
A Computer Programmer can be tasked to write the code that prevents data leaks and security breaches.
Computer Programmer Salary
In the United States, the average annual salary of a Computer Programmer is $65,500.
Depending on their skill set, education, and experience, the average annual salary of a Computer Programmer ranges from $56,000 to $88,500.
What Is the Computer Programmer Pay Difference by Location?
Let’s take a look at the pay difference of a Computer Programmer between the major cities in the United States:
|New York, NY||$78,923|
|San Francisco, CA||$82,007|
What Is the Computer Programmer Pay Difference by Experience?
Based on how much experience they have in the field, a Computer Programmer has the average annual salary of:
|Years of Experience||Average Annual Salary|
Computer Programmer Job Description Template
[Company Name] is looking for a skilled Computer Programmer to code for our company’s innovative programs and applications, integrate systems and software, execute code builds, and determine and repair bugs and errors in the current code.
Working alongside our talented IT team, you will develop in-house software solutions and develop and deploy patches and updates. You will be responsible for identifying any system and software vulnerabilities and ensuring safety from malware and cyberattacks. You will also produce technical documents and provide support to users.
The ideal candidate for this role needs to have exceptional coding skills and be able to communicate issues and requirements effectively. They need to be a talented problem-solver and critical thinker that can produce optimal solutions for the company’s needs.
Computer Programmer Responsibilities
- Write and implement well-designed and testable code
- Perform debugging and troubleshooting
- Maintain software by deploying updates and patches
- Produce technical documents
- Rewrite the code for different operating systems
- Ensure the systems and software solutions are secure from cyberthreats
- Provide technical support to users
- Manage database systems
- Use web-based tools to build SaaS solutions
Computer Programmer Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Programming, Computer Science, or another relevant field
- Previous experience as a Computer Programmer, Software Developer, or another relevant role
- Exceptional coding and programming skills
- Excellent proficiency in markup and programming languages, such as C++, SQL, and HTML
- Deadline-driven mindset focused on the end-user
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Extensive understanding of operating systems
Hiring Resources for Ambitious Companies
- Running projects on tight deadlines? Make sure that all your employees are accountable using time tracking software
- Looking for a quick way to fill job vacancies? Check out the best sourcing tools for recruiters
- Have your best-performing workers help you attract top talent using employee referral software
- Is your payroll process based on bonuses and commissions? Make sure that everyone’s paid accurately using commission-based payroll software
- Need the data to help you make crucial business decisions? Check out the best HR analytics software
- Streamline your recruitment process using a high-quality applicant tracking system
- Having trouble keeping all your personnel files in one place? Make such administrative tasks easy using employee record software
- Want to ensure that your new hires adapt quickly? Make them feel at home using the best onboarding software