Digital Designer Job Description
A Digital Designer develops online visual content to enhance an organization’s marketing material.
The content can include ads, artwork, graphics, or web content and is designed to be bright, engaging, and eye-catching.
A Digital Designer works with a creative agency or within a larger organization and can achieve promotion to a supervisory or managerial creative position.
A Digital Designer designs, develops, and implements digital content and ensures that all the content published adheres to the organization’s marketing and corporate identity criteria.
The role’s specific duties include:
- Consulting with the marketing team to create a design brief for a marketing project
- Designing and producing engaging content
- Ensuring all content is aligned with marketing guidelines, website standards, and usability criteria
- Collaborating with the IT department to implement the content
- Reviewing all content to ensure consistency
Marketing projects or campaigns are dependent on powerful imagery and engaging content to grab consumers’ attention.
A Digital Designer consults with the marketing team to understand brand identities, campaign targets, and consumer demographics to create a framework for the design of supporting content.
The insights gained are summarized in a brief, which then becomes the basis for a design project.
Having created a design brief, a Digital Designer begins the process of content creation using digital editing tools to create images, banners, graphics, and interactive elements.
The creative process is managed as a project—with strict timelines and milestones to adhere to—and a Digital Designer is responsible for the work being completed on time.
This task combines creativity with technical skills in developing content and editing it to conform to the stipulated marketing guidelines. A Digital Designer may collaborate with artists, illustrators, photographers, or videographers to generate the digital content but will retain the responsibility for editing and collating the material provided.
Ensuring All Content Is Aligned With Marketing Guidelines, Website Standards, and Usability Criteria
The marketing department insists on adherence to strict marketing guidelines on the look, brand identity, and corporate image to maintain consistent brand recognition among consumers.
A Digital Designer incorporates the guidelines into all the content created and also ensures that the content conforms to any requirements for publication on the organization’s website.
Interactive content must also be user-friendly, so a Digital Designer ensures that the animations are fast and lag-free, response buttons’ links are not broken, and consumer engagement functions work seamlessly.
Having created the content, a Digital Designer works with the IT department to have it coded, uploaded, and activated on the correct platforms.
In many instances, the content is linked to timed marketing campaigns, so the IT department and the Digital Designer have to adhere to tight deadlines. The IT department may have other pressing priorities, so a Digital Designer negotiates with IT management to free up resources to complete the work on time.
The marketing department undertakes periodic rebranding of products, including the redesign of logos, changing of straplines, or fine-tuning of color palettes.
In such cases, a Digital Designer reviews all the content in the public domain and updates it where necessary.
This task can be time-consuming, so a Digital Designer maintains close contact with the marketing department to plan the timing of such activities and ensure adequate resources are available.
A Digital Designer’s average salary ranges from $52,000 to $67,000 a year in the U.S., with the median lying at $57,782.
A Digital Designer’s earnings are affected by location as follows:
|New York, NY||$69,512|
|San Francisco, CA||$72,228|
Experience will have the following effect on a Digital Designer’s earnings:
|Experience Level||Average Salary|
|< 1 year||$57,165|
[Company] is looking for a talented, experienced, and creative Digital Designer to create eye-catching visuals to support our marketing efforts.
We are looking for a dynamic individual with exciting ideas and an ability to work within brand guidelines.
The successful candidate will join a team of media and creative professionals that work together to create stunning visuals that enrich our content and support, support our marketing efforts, and help drive engagement, clicks, and conversions.
- Designing exciting content according to a marketing brief
- Working with the marketing department to ensure consistent brand imaging
- Liaising with the marketing department to deliver content on time
- Maintaining and updating all our digital media as required
- Monitoring global trends and introducing innovation to our marketing activities
- Bachelor’s degree in Digital Design, Graphic Design, Animation, or similar
- At least two years’ experience in a digital design role
- Wide knowledge of major media editing software (Premiere Pro, Lightroom, Photoshop, and similar)
- Proven creative skills
- Solid understanding of the marketing environment
- Strong time and project management skills
Hiring Resources for Ambitious Companies
- Ensure maximum efficiency with the best employee scheduling software on the market
- Help new hires settle in their roles and reach peak performance faster with the best onboarding software
- Working remotely or relying on part-timers and freelancers? Check out employee time tracking software
- Discover why fastest-growing companies are investing hundreds of thousands in AI recruiting software
- Scaling your team for the first time? Streamline payroll with the best 1099 payroll software
- Hiring for senior roles? Save a ton of time and money with executive recruiting software
- Flooded with candidates for your open positions? Automate your hiring funnel with an applicant tracking system
- Have a finger on the pulse of your business and make data-driven decisions with top HR software solutions