HR Assistant Job Description
The job of an HR Assistant is to ensure the success of the HR department’s activities by collaborating with crucial roles, such as Human Resource Managers, Specialists, and Coordinators.
Aside from handling administrative tasks like scheduling interviews, managing job applications, and maintaining an employee database, HR Assistants may also perform various HR-related activities, such as hiring, interviewing, running payroll, and performing talent management.
Even though a lot of the work that HR Assistants do happens in the background of the tasks performed by higher-ranking roles, their addition to the team is crucial for ensuring that the HR department runs smoothly.
Similar Job Titles:
What Does an HR Assistant Generally Do?
Depending on the company and the structure of the HR department, an HR Assistant can perform a variety of crucial tasks, both HR-related and administrative. Some of the most common activities of an HR Assistant are:
- Providing administrative support
- Taking part in the recruitment process
- Processing payroll and benefits
Providing Administrative Support
To improve the HR department’s efficiency, an HR Assistant commonly helps with various administrative tasks. They create and manage HR files and databases and update crucial records on benefits, grievances, performance reviews, disciplinary actions, employment status, and other relevant information.
An HR Assistant is often tasked with conducting file audits, making sure that all the vital employee information is gathered and maintained. They also finalize termination paperwork and participate in exit interviews.
Taking Part in the Recruitment Process
An HR Assistant commonly takes part in the recruitment process. They post job ads to relevant job boards and other channels, schedule interviews, and assist other crucial HR roles during the interviewing process. They collect all the relevant information, perform background checks on recruits, and prepare files for new hires.
HR Assistants are also often assigned to provide orientation to new employees, assist in the benefits enrollment process, and manage assignments for new hires. If employees have any questions, they are usually supposed to turn to HR Assistants.
Processing Payroll and Benefits
Depending on the company, an HR Assistant can be tasked to process payroll. This includes tracking crucial information on sick leave and vacation time. An HR Assistant also needs to assist with payroll errors and answer any inquiries about payroll that the employees have.
HR Assistants also take part in benefits tasks, including claim resolutions, payment invoice approvals, and benefit statement reconciliation.
Roles an HR Assistant Typically Collaborates With
Depending on the company and other roles in the HR department, an HR Assistant commonly works closely with:
|Roles HR Assistants Collaborate With|
|Recruiter||Payroll Coordinator||HR Project Manager|
|Chief Executive Officer||Benefits Analyst||Benefits Administrator|
|Consultant||Hiring Manager||HR Administrator|
HR Assistant Salary
The average salary that an HR Assistant makes in the United States is $43,000 per year.
Depending on the company they work for and factors such as their skill set and education, an HR Assistant earns from $29,000 to $51,000 on average.
What Is the HR Assistant Pay Difference by Location?
Here’s an overview of the pay difference of an HR Assistant between some of the most prominent cities in the United States:
|San Francisco, CA||$53,900|
|New York, NY||$51,900|
What Is the HR Assistant Pay Difference by Experience?
Based on their level of experience in the field, the average annual salary of an HR Assistant is:
|Years of Experience||Average Annual Salary|
Human Resources Assistant Job Description Template
[Company Name] is looking for an experienced HR Assistant to help us improve the efficiency of our HR department. You’ll be working alongside our HR Managers, Coordinators, and other crucial roles, to ensure the success of various departmental activities.
Working at [Company], you’ll be responsible for both HR and administrative tasks. You will oversee internal meetings, manage payroll, post job ads to relevant channels, and manage our company’s employee database. You’ll also be the first point of contact for our employees, making sure that all HR-related questions and requests are resolved properly.
We are looking for candidates with excellent interpersonal and communication skills. You need to be a solid decision-maker with an extensive understanding of employee relations and staff management.
HR Assistant Responsibilities
- Manage the company’s employee database
- Assist in all HR-related requests and inquiries
- Take part in the hiring process by identifying top candidates, conducting reference checks, and preparing employment contracts
- Communicate with benefit admins and vendors
- Manage the payroll process and resolve any payroll-related errors
- Assist with payroll and benefit tasks, including claim resolutions and payment invoice approvals
- Create and manage calendars for the entire HR team
- Schedule HR events, meetings, and interviews
- Communicate with candidates and assist the HR department during the hiring process
- Organize and perform employee orientations for new hires
- Generate reports on the HR team’s activities and performance
- Finalize termination paperwork and assist with exit interviews
- Process incoming emails
- Handle grievances and complaints
- Produce and distribute HR documentation
- Provide assistance in organizing and coordinating events
- File and maintain employee records
- Act as a point of contact with public services
HR Assistant Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or another relevant field
- Previous experience working as an HR Assistant
- Strong interpersonal and administrative skills
- Extensive experience with HR functions and payroll practices
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Close attention to detail
- Solid ability to work in a fast-paced environment and follow instructions
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Excellent proficiency in business and communication tools
- Perfect fluency in spoken and written English
Hiring Resources for Ambitious Companies
- Want to ensure that your employees are paid accurately? Streamline the process using top online payroll software
- Got plenty of applicants for a position in your company? Automate the screening process with the best applicant tracking system
- Need a centralized platform for keeping all the employee-related documents? Check out some of the best employee record software solutions on the market
- Looking for a senior leader to manage your team? Find them using the best executive recruiting software
- Looking for a solution to make your human resources department more efficient? Streamline critical HR-related processes using top HR software
- Use robust HR analytics software solutions to gain valuable insights and make the right business decisions
- Running a company on a tight budget? Check out the best HR software solutions for small businesses
- Got a batch of new employees that need managing? Help them settle in using some of the most efficient onboarding software