HR Consultant Job Description
An HR Consultant provides the human resources department with expert advice on the best policies, practices, and procedures. One of their primary duties is to help the department deal with a variety of tasks, such as training, benefits, and recruitment, and improve the company’s efforts to establish and maintain a capable workforce.
An HR Consultant takes some of the load off the HR department by assisting with the tasks that are commonly distributed among other existing HR roles. The primary goal of an HR Consultant is to provide the department with expert advice so that it can achieve optimal results and ensure the company’s growth.
What Does an HR Consultant Generally Do?
As a role that performs a kind of management consulting, an HR Consultant’s job is to make sure that the department is up to date with the best HR practices and assist with the process of attracting, hiring, and managing the best candidates for the company. Some of the most common tasks that an HR Consultant performs are related to:
- Recruiting employees
- Providing training and development
- Establishing benefits and compensation
- Assisting with legal compliance
- Ensuring health and safety in the workplace
An HR Consultant is responsible for taking part in the recruitment process by helping the company attract and hire top talent. They use proprietary databases, screen potential candidates, post job ads to relevant platforms, and scan various social media channels for promising recruits.
HR Consultants commonly work with applicants throughout the hiring process by meeting with them, doing a background check, taking part in the interview, discussing compensation packages, and sending the job offer.
Providing Training and Development
HR Consultants help companies provide the necessary training and development for their staff. This includes setting up different types of seminars and workshops. The goal is to provide options such as on-site training and development regarding customer support, communications, time management, and different types of software.
An HR Consultant also helps the company develop and implement succession plans, making sure that leaving employees are replaced with qualified candidates.
Establishing Benefits and Compensation
It’s often the job of an HR Consultant to assist the department in establishing employee benefits and compensation plans. This includes perks, salaries, rewards, benefits, etc.
An HR Consultant should have excellent financial skills to help companies optimize their budgets by determining the job roles that need to be filled and the functions that the company can outsource. When an HR Consultant identifies the crucial roles for the company, they establish pay scales for them, in collaboration with the Financial department.
Assisting With Legal Compliance
HR Consultants help ensure that the company’s processes are in compliance with both state-specific laws and federal regulations on labor and occupational health and safety. They help the company develop an employee handbook that contains crucial policies that everyone in the workplace must adhere to. They are often responsible for improving security practices, assessing compensation claims, and incorporating wellness programs.
HR Consultant Salary
The average annual salary of an HR Consultant in the United States is $77,000.
Based on their skill set, education, and experience, an HR Consultant’s average salary ranges from $69,500 to $87,000.
What Is the HR Consultant Pay Difference by Location?
In some of the most prominent cities in the United States, the average annual salary of an HR Consultant is:
|San Francisco, CA||$96,548|
|New York, NY||$92,918|
What Is the HR Consultant Pay Difference by Experience?
Based on how much experience they have working in the position, an HR Consultant’s average annual salary is:
|Years of Experience||Average Annual Salary|
HR Consultant Job Description Template
[Company Name] is looking for an experienced HR Consultant to help us develop and establish HR policies, strategies, and procedures. Your responsibility will be to identify inefficiencies in the department and provide optimal solutions. You’ll ensure that our HR department’s activities are compliant with state and federal laws.
Working at [Company], you’ll assist our HR department in recruiting and hiring top talent. Your job will be to meet and screen potential candidates, take part in the interview process, and provide adequate follow-ups. You’ll provide employees with training and development options and set up their benefits and compensation plans.
We’re looking for candidates with exceptional analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills. You need to be able to identify problems in the workplace and provide optimal solutions.
HR Consultant Responsibilities
- Assess the workplace to identify staff issues and provide effective solutions
- Attend HR department meetings to come up with optimal policies and procedures
- Ensure that the company policies and practices are compliant with state and federal regulations
- Take part in the recruitment process by posting job ads, meeting with candidates, conducting interviews, and identifying the best hires
- Set up employee benefits and compensation plans
- Identify job roles that should be filled and positions that can be outsourced
- Provide training and development by setting up seminars and workshops
- Establish employee succession plans
- Assess HR analytics to determine the efficiency of new policies and procedures
HR Consultant Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or another relevant field
- Previous experience as an HR Consultant or a similar role
- Extensive knowledge of HR policies, procedures, and legal requirements
- Strong understanding of optimal recruitment practices
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency in payroll and HR management software
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
Hiring Resources for Ambitious Companies
- Got plenty of applicants for a job role? Automate the screening process with an applicant tracking system
- Need to assess your workforce’s performance? Track how your staff is handling their tasks with employee monitoring software
- Need to attract top talent for your growing business? Use the most efficient sourcing tools for recruiters
- Make it easier for your new employees to settle in and show off their expertise with the help of the best onboarding software
- Want to ensure the accuracy of your payroll? Utilize the best online payroll software
- Looking for a way to streamline the management of personnel files? Check out the best employee record software
- Worried that your HR-related activities will burn a hole in your budget? Rely on top HR software solutions for small businesses
- Base your business decisions on data instead of guesswork using professional HR analytics software