Marketing Manager Job Description
A Marketing Manager runs the marketing activities of a brand, product, or division in a company, focusing on the day-to-day tactical planning and implementation of the overall marketing strategy. This may include the four P’s (Product, Price, Positioning, and Promotion), customer identification, advertising, promotional activities, and other initiatives to bring the product or service to market successfully.
Whether the organization delivers products or services, marketing forms the link between the organization and its marketplace, meaning that the Marketing Manager must have a deep understanding of both sides of the equation.
A Marketing Manager analyses the marketplace and creates strategic plans and tactical actions to drive sales of the product or service. This encompasses:
- Product design
- Material sourcing
- Scheduling and capacity
- Testing and quality control
- Business development
- Customer service
The specific tasks Marketing Managers performs often include:
- Market analysis
- Strategic planning
- Tactical implementation
- Results analysis
- Budget control and management
A Marketing Manager must perform regular, in-depth target market analyses to gain a complete understanding of how potential customers behave, where they can be found, what they are looking for, how much they are prepared to pay, and what quality standards they demand.
A thorough analysis ensures that the consequent marketing activities will be focussed, relevant, and effective.
Strategic Planning involves taking the insights from market analysis and defining the strategies which will guide the marketing effort. This process enables the company to tweak its current marketing strategy and plan future marketing activities based on relevant data.
Tactical implementation encompasses all the actual marketing activities for the product or service, such as:
- Pricing modeling and rollout
- Sales support material development
- Packaging design and production
It is the Marketing Manager’s responsibility to make sure all activities are strategically aligned. This is paramount for achieving the desired result from marketing activities—boosting sales.
The Marketing Manager will track the results of all marketing activities to ensure that targets are being met. If so, market analysis can be re-started to determine any changes in the market. If not, corrective action must be implemented to address the issues.
The Marketing Manager will ensure that all activities stay within prescribed budgets and that marketing spend is tightly controlled and balanced against the incremental profit generated by the marketing activities. The Marketing Manager may also be involved in the budgeting process annually.
A Marketing Manager will regularly work together with the following roles:
|Roles a Marketing Manager Collaborates With|
|Project Manager||Account Executive||Brand Ambassador|
|Account Manager||Brand Manager||Finance Manager|
|Product Manager||Operations Manager||Creative Director|
The national average salary for a Marketing Manager will typically be between $80,000 and $142,000 per annum in the U.S. The median is around $106,168.
Average salaries for a Marketing Manager differ by location as follows:
|San Francisco, CA||$132,709|
|New York, NY||$127,720|
Depending on experience, pay will vary as follows:
|Experience Level||Average Salary|
|< 1 year||$102,704|
[Company Name] is looking for a driven, experienced, and talented Marketing Manager to join our team and enhance the current marketing activities, as well as develop and implement new, high-performing marketing strategies.
As the Marketing Manager with [Company Name], you will be a key element in both the strategic direction and the tactical implementation of the company’s marketing activities. You will be required to drive and understand numbers-based research, develop a coherent strategy, and translate it into implementable, hands-on action plans.
You’ll be working alongside our [insert relevant departments here] teams to enhance our presence in the marketplace and drive long-term sales growth.
- Conduct and coordinate in-depth ongoing market research to understand marketplace dynamics
- Analyze current marketing activities to determine effectiveness against strategic targets
- Control and manage marketing budgets to maximize the return on investment
- Develop strategic marketing plans based on research in collaboration with brand management, business development management, finance management, and operations management
- Produce regular marketing reports for management and the organization
- Ensure production of all relevant marketing materials, brochures, sales support, PR, and ER publications
- Oversee all external marketing activities in which the organization is involved
- Coordinate and drive ongoing customer-level communication
- Work closely with the entire organization to improve customer experience, boost sales, and maximize profit
- Recognized tertiary qualification in Marketing
- 5+ years experience in a Marketing position
- Proven planning and analytical ability
- Excellent communications skills on all levels
- Financial acumen and an ability to maximize ROI
- Strategic thinking combined with tactical nous
- Customer-centric mindset