Mobile Developer Job Description
A Mobile Developer creates apps for mobile devices to support an organization’s internal operations.The role requires both expert coding knowledge and a feel for user-friendliness.
Successful Mobile Developers understand trends in the app environment and develop solutions that are ahead of the curve.
A Mobile Developer plans, develops, tests, and rolls out apps in line with the organization’s requirements.
The role’s specific duties include:
- Consulting with management to understand needs
- Drafting app development project plans
- Coding and developing required apps
- Testing, troubleshooting, and debugging
- Developing application programming interfaces (APIs) to support mobile functionality
- Costing, budgeting, and monitoring development projects
- Monitoring industry trends and developments
In their daily roles, employees throughout the organization identify tasks that could be improved by mobile technology. A Mobile Developer consults with the employees and their managers to understand what help is required and how mobile technology could assist.
Technology changes are often viewed with suspicion by non-technical employees, so this consultation process allows a Mobile Developer to create apps that align with employees’ needs.
As soon as a need is understood, a Mobile Developer drafts a project plan for the development of an app.
Although experienced Mobile Developers understand approximate timelines for app development, a project plan allows them to manage users’ expectations and ensure enough time is set aside for adequate testing and implementation.
As an expert coder, a Mobile Developer creates each app incorporating the functionality required by the users.
In addition to including all the necessary features, the coding process must account for user-friendliness and the Mobile Developer must ensure the app interface is clear, comprehensive, and easy to use. Experienced Mobile Developers also make sure each app is fast and does not consume too many mobile resources, so as not to slow the device down.
The emphasis is on usability and ease of understanding to guarantee that each new app represents an improvement to the employees’ jobs.
Each new app requires thorough testing to ensure it is user-friendly, works as required, and is compatible with the organization’s existing architecture.
The testing process encompasses bench testing, unit testing, UI testing, and field testing with volunteers from the eventual users.
Each testing process reveals areas where the app can be optimized. Most importantly, user feedback during the final testing phase indicates how well the app meets the original needs and how successful it will be in improving the users’ work.
APIs simplify complex code and deliver an easy-to-use interface that allows communication between apps and programs. In an effort to make mobile apps fast and efficient, a Mobile Developer looks for necessary program links and creates APIs that enable the app to function seamlessly.
App development represents a cost in terms of time and resources. Before creating an app, Mobile Developers cost the project and budget for the time and resources the process will require.
During the development process, they monitor the time taken and resources used to ensure the costs do not spiral out of control.
Mobile technology evolves rapidly, and a Mobile Developer monitors developments and innovations to identify opportunities for the organization to become more efficient by leveraging new technologies.
Any viable opportunities become the basis for app development plans. Mobile Developer must carefully verify the need for any innovation to avoid creating apps only because they are currently trending.
Mobile Developer Salary
A Mobile Developer’s salary ranges from $81,000 to $108,000 a year in the U.S., with the median lying at $95,436.
A Mobile Developer’s location will have the following effect on earnings:
|San Francisco, CA||$119.294|
|New York, NY||$114,809|
Experience in the role affects a Mobile Developer’s earnings as follows:
|Experience Level||Average Salary|
|< 1 year||$89,967|
[Company] is highly innovative and constantly seeking ways to improve efficiency in our workflow. We are looking for a Mobile Developer to spot opportunities and develop mobile solutions that increase efficiency and boost productivity.
We are looking for an expert developer who has the ability to understand business needs and the technical skills to translate them into user-friendly solutions.
The successful candidate will work with a team of IT professionals who are all intent on making [Company] more efficient and successful.
Your tasks as a Mobile Developer will include:
- Understanding end-user needs
- Planning app developing projects to ensure on-time delivery
- Developing fault-free and user-friendly apps
- Budgeting and tracking development costs
- Identifying opportunities to enhance our app suite
We are looking for the following qualifications, skills, and behaviors:
- Bachelor’s degree in Programming, IT, or Computing
- At least two years’ experience in an IT development role
- Wide knowledge of major app coding languages
- Thorough range of mobile platform experience (old and new)
- Commitment to quality
- Solid understanding of business processes
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication ability
- Are casuals, part-timers, or freelancers part of your payroll? Check out employee time tracking software
- Need to make sure every deadline is met? Reach your business goals consistently with the help of employee scheduling software
- Is your team growing exponentially? Streamline payroll with the best 1099 payroll software
- Hiring for senior roles? Save a ton of time and money with executive recruiting software
- Too many applicants for your open positions? Automate your hiring funnel with an applicant tracking system
- Discover why more and more companies are investing in AI recruiting software and how it could help your organization
- Help your latest recruits settle in their roles and reach peak performance faster with the best onboarding software
- Know how well your team is performing with the best HR software solutions top companies are using