Recruiting Manager Job Description
A Recruiting Manager oversees an organization’s hiring activities and ensures they are efficient and cost-effective.
The role involves the management of internal recruiting and onboarding teams as well as close collaboration with external recruiters and internal stakeholders.
With experience, a Recruiting Manager can move into more generalist HR management.
A Recruiting Manager manages the organization’s recruiting team, develops recruiting strategies, and ensures that the right people are hired within the required timeframe.
The job’s specific tasks include:
- Maintaining and improving the organization’s recruiting policy
- Developing and implementing a recruitment plan
- Managing the recruiting team to achieve targets
- Introducing new recruiting tools and technologies
- Training and mentoring recruitment staff
- Reporting to management on recruiting success
Every organization details its recruiting procedures in a hiring policy document, and a Recruiting Manager must review this document periodically to ensure it remains fit for purpose.
Changes in labor legislation, the organization’s structure, or the employment environment may necessitate policy updates or changes, and these must be implemented as quickly and efficiently as possible.
As an expert in labor legislation, a Recruiting Manager ensures that any policy revisions are compliant and beneficial to the organization’s recruitment process.
Recruitment activities are linked to each department’s annual business plan, meaning that all vacancies should be planned and budgeted for.
Referring to these plans, a Recruitment Manager plans the organization’s annual hiring activities by post, month, and department.
The plan is a living document and subject to change based on business climate, so a Recruiting Manager reviews it regularly and makes any appropriate revisions.
Having planned a recruitment activity, the organization needs the task to be completed quickly and efficiently.
A recruiting team’s success is measured by metrics such as time-to-hire (how long it takes to recruit versus the target time) and cost-per-hire (how much it costs in time, agency fees, advertising, and similar to recruit each new employee).
A Recruiting Manager measures and trends the team’s metrics and guides it to deliver continual improvement.
The techniques of recruitment evolve rapidly, and a Recruiting Manager monitors new developments—such as AI-based recruitment, hiring funnel automation, and social media-based sourcing—to evaluate their suitability for the organization.
If an innovation proves beneficial, a Recruiting Manager introduces it to the organization, ensures that the recruiting team is trained, and updates the recruiting policy as required.
The quality of new hires coming into the organization is linked to the skill of the recruitment team and its ability to spot and secure excellent candidates.
A Recruiting Manager trains, coaches, and mentors the recruitment team regularly to develop its skills across all the recruitment disciplines.
External recruiting agencies also require induction into the organization’s culture and regular refresher training to ensure they can identify strong candidates. A Recruiting Manager organizes these training courses and collaborates closely with each agency to ensure it is aligned with the organization’s recruiting policy.
The organization’s management requires regular updating on planned recruitment processes, so a Recruiting Manager tracks and trends all the recruiting metrics and provides updates on individual recruitment activities.
Experienced Recruiting Managers also provide suggestions for improvement, comments on any issues faced, and feedback on the effectiveness of the organization’s recruiting policy.
A Recruiting Manager can earn between $99,000 and $129,000 a year in the U.S. Median earnings are $113,212.
A Recruiting Manager’s earnings are affected by the job location as follows:
|New York, NY||$136,194|
|San Francisco, CA||$141,515|
The number of years in the job has the following effect on a Recruiting Manager’s earnings:
|Experience Level||Average Salary|
|< 1 year||$109,040|
[Company] is expanding and needs an experienced Recruiting Manager to oversee our recruitment activities.
The successful candidate will work with both an internal recruitment team and external agencies and will be responsible for ensuring all job vacancies are filled quickly and efficiently.
Your tasks as a Recruiting Manager will include:
- Maintaining and updating our recruiting policy
- Developing and managing the annual recruitment plan
- Running the recruitment team to deliver against targets
- Liaising with external recruiting agencies
- Collaborating with hiring managers to develop our internal recruiting skills
We are looking for the following qualifications, skills, and behaviors:
- Bachelor’s degree in HR, Recruitment, or similar
- At least four years’ experience in a recruitment role
- Excellent knowledge of labor law and relevant legislation
- Solid knowledge of Human Resources Information Systems and Applicant Tracking Software
- Expert knowledge of interview, assessment, and selection techniques
- Thorough business understanding
- Looking for the best senior-level candidates for your management positions? Find them fast with the best executive recruiting software
- Growing your team for the first time? Streamline payroll with 1099 payroll software
- New entry-level employees coming on board? Roll out time tracking software solutions to ensure accurate payments
- Help new hires become effective quickly and easily with the best onboarding software
- Boost productivity, improve your team’s efficiency, and guarantee targets are met with the best HR software solutions
- Recruit the best candidates for your vacancies with the top sourcing tools for recruiters
- Incentivize your top performers to bring their contacts on board and drive your company’s success with the top employee referral software
- Are update meetings taking up too much valuable time? Know what everyone’s working on in your business with employee monitoring software