Social Media Intern Job Description
A Social Media Intern reports to the Social Media Manager and creates digital content, analyzes social media traction, and monitors the brand’s performance on various social media platforms.
Successful Social Media Interns can expect a permanent position in an organization and may go on to a supervisory or management role within the marketing department.
What Does a Social Media Intern Typically Do?
A Social Media Intern plans social media campaigns, creates posts, monitors social media metrics, and helps with content creation.
A Social Media Intern’s role consists of:
- Managing social media calendars
- Writing posts and uploading them
- Analyzing the organization’s social media performance
- Taking part in brainstorming sessions
- Liaising with other marketing activities
- Assisting with office administration
Managing Social Media Calendars
A Social Media Intern manages the scheduling of posts on social media platforms to gain maximum traction while correlating with activities in other marketing fields.
Most of the scheduling is automated, but some posts may have to be uploaded manually. A Social Media Intern makes sure that every planned post goes live at the correct time, that all stakeholders are alerted when new posts appear, and that everyone concerned is kept updated on planned activities in the social media calendar.
Writing Posts and Uploading Them
A Social Media Intern writes content for social media posts. They must ensure that all external communication conforms to strict corporate identity guidelines. The content must match the feel of other marketing material while being appropriate for different social media platforms’ audiences.
Writing appropriate but powerful content is challenging and demands excellent copywriting skills from a Social Media Intern, as well as openness to new ideas from marketing management.
Analyzing the Organization’s Social Media Performance
Social media represents a relatively cost-effective alternative to traditional mass media but must reach the desired audience with the right messaging and generate a response from the social following.
A Social Media Intern tracks every social media post to determine clicks, reach, responses, and engagement using a variety of analytics tools. Likes, queries, mentions, and influencer posts also form part of the analysis a Social Media Intern runs.
After collecting the data, a Social Media Intern collates it into daily or weekly reports and feeds it back to management. With increased experience, a Social Media Intern may be asked to analyze the data and provide suggestions on action steps.
Taking Part in Brainstorming Sessions
Brainstorming sessions are a proven technique to foster creativity and generate ideas in the marketing department. Well-run brainstorming sessions result in unique ideas and provide an opportunity to explore marketing routes that may not be present in a traditional marketing plan.
A Social Media Intern is often a relatively recent hire and may belong to a demographic not represented in the marketing team. As a result, they can often provide a different perspective on marketing possibilities. Participation in marketing brainstorming sessions allows a Social Media Intern to hone creative skills while giving the marketing team creative input that may give fresh impetus to its activities.
Liaising With Other Marketing Activities
Social media is only one segment of marketing and must be aligned to everything else the marketing department does to guarantee a unified message track across the whole organization.
A Social Media Intern liaises with other marketing colleagues—Brand Managers, Product Managers, and Sales Managers—to ensure their marketing efforts are aligned with the agreed-upon style, tone, and marketing message.
Assisting With Office Administration
A Social Media Intern may be asked to assist with general tasks in the marketing department and should be enthusiastic and show initiative. Successful Social Media Interns learn all the functions of a marketing department and position themselves as not just a social media expert but an invaluable resource to the organization.
Social Media Intern Salary
A Social Media Intern will earn between $34,000 and $51,000 annually in the U.S. The median is around $41,298.
What Is the Social Media Intern Pay Difference by Location?
A Social Media Intern’s income is also affected by location as follows:
|San Francisco, CA||$51,622|
|New York, NY||$49,681|
What Is the Social Media Intern Pay Difference by Experience Level?
Years’ experience will affect a Social Media Intern’s salary as follows:
|Experience Level||Average Salary|
|< 1 year||$36,607|
Social Media Intern Job Description Template
[Company Name] is a forward-thinking company with a strong social media following. We are looking for a dynamic and adept Social Media Intern to maintain and improve our social media presence, drive engagement with our consumers, and convert new people.
You will be an expert in all social media platforms and will be abreast of the latest trends and developments. You should be a brilliant communicator who is able to get messages across succinctly and create the desired impact.
Join a creative and dynamic marketing team! You will initially work under close supervision, but as you gain experience, you will be given more autonomy to hone and may, in time, advance to a senior position within our marketing department.
Social Media Intern Job Responsibilities
- Planning, scheduling, and posting content
- Collaborating with colleagues to understand briefs
- Writing posts under supervision
- Monitoring social media metrics and reporting to management
- Performing other tasks related to our brand’s social media presence, as required
Required Skill Set
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, PR, or Business
- Experience in an office-based work environment
- Expert knowledge of all social media platforms
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Brilliant creativity
- Attention to detail
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Strong teamwork and collaborative skills
Hiring Resources for Ambitious Companies
- Recruit the top interns for your department quickly with the best sourcing tools for recruiters
- Do your job postings give you hundreds of applicants? Declutter the pipeline and keep track of everything with applicant tracking systems
- Control your team’s workflow more efficiently with employee scheduling software, and don’t lose track of hours worked ever again
- Make recruiting simple, effective, and targeted at the best candidates with the help of powerful AI recruiting software
- Improve productivity, drive efficiency, and hit all your business goals with the best HR software solutions
- Stop guessing how well your employees are doing. Discover what HR analytics software the companies in the U.S. rely on and make smart, data-driven decisions
- Too many meetings getting in the way of your productivity? Know what everyone’s doing at all times in your business with employee monitoring software
- Make onboarding new hires fast and glitch-free with the best onboarding software
Need a one-stop-shop for all your HR-related activities that won’t break the bank? Discover the best HR software solutions for small businesses