Technical Recruiter Job Description
A Technical Recruiter sources and recruits technical staff for an organization.
Working within an organization, for a recruitment agency, or as a freelancer, a Technical Recruiter is an expert at matching candidates’ technical skills to specific job requirements.
The role requires enough knowledge of the technical field in which the Recruiter specializes to enable candidates to be elected successfully.
What Does a Technical Recruiter Typically Do?
A Technical Recruiter works with an organization to find, select, and propose candidates for technical or IT vacancies. The specific tasks will include:
- Understanding the hiring organization’s technical requirements
- Contacting identified candidates
- Creating and posting job advertisements
- Running interview, assessment, and selection processes
- Communicating with applicants
- Briefing the hiring organization on shortlisted candidates
- Monitoring and reporting on successful hires
- Selling and marketing
Understanding the Hiring Organization’s Technical Requirements
Technical skills often outweigh any soft skills considerations when recruiting technical staff. A Technical Recruiter collaborates with the hiring organization to draw up a set of technical qualifications that are the minimum requirements for the job.
Experienced Technical Recruiters have a thorough knowledge of the area of required expertise and know what additional skills would be beneficial to succeed in the job being offered.
Contacting Identified Candidates
The technical community can be tight-knit, so the hiring organization may have already identified a target candidate to be approached.
A Technical Recruiter exercises caution and discretion in any such approaches and is careful to maintain the confidentiality of the hiring organization while making the job offer as attractive as possible.
Creating and Posting Job Advertisements
A Technical Recruiter creates job ads in line with the hiring organization’s specifications, places the ads on the appropriate media, and tracks the ads’ success using a variety of monitoring tools.
Depending on the level of specialized technical skill required for the job, the hiring organization may choose to look outside its industry to find suitable candidates. A Technical Recruiter ensures that job postings are placed not only on industry-specific media but also on more general platforms.
Running Interview, Selection, and Assessment Processes
All applicants who meet the minimum criteria are invited for a preliminary interview with a Technical Recruiter. In many cases, this will be a virtual interview accompanied by a set of assessment tasks to test competency.
The technical field is dynamic and fast-paced, so successful candidates should have a track record of continual skills advancement to show that they stay abreast of the latest developments. A Technical Recruiter runs the interview and assessment process with emphasis on both the candidates’ experience and their potential for future learning and development.
IT is often designated as a shared service in an organization whose task is to support business continuity. A Technical Recruiter also assesses candidates’ soft skills, problem-solving ability, and planning experience to determine their potential to fit into the hiring organization.
Briefing HR Management on Shortlisted Candidates
Once the initial interview and assessment process is completed, a Technical Recruiter presents a shortlist of candidates to the hiring organization.
The presentation includes an interview summary, the results of the assessment procedures, and confirmation of background and reference checks. A Technical Recruiter may be asked to give a personal recommendation to the hiring organization, but this will be dependent on the strength of the relationship between the two parties.
While all the assessed candidates meet the minimum requirements, a successful Technical Recruiter highlights those applicants who will add something above and beyond the basics to the hiring organization.
Communicating With Candidates
Technical experts are highly sought-after, so a Technical Recruiter maintains close contact with all the candidates throughout the recruitment process to ensure they remain interested.
This also allows a Technical Recruiter to grow a network of technical professionals, meaning that future vacancies may be easier to fill with candidates who have already been interviewed and vetted.
Monitoring and Reporting on Successful Hires
Successful Technical Recruiters monitor new hires and collaborate with the hiring organization throughout the onboarding process to ensure both sides are satisfied.
This also strengthens the relationship between a Technical Recruiter and the hiring organization, demonstrating that the Technical Recruiter is committed to the long-term success of the hiring organization.
Selling and Marketing
If based in an agency or working as a freelancer, a Technical Recruiter devotes enough time to generating and converting clients to ensure a constant flow of new and repeat business.
Many agencies operate a commission-based remuneration system, so success in sales and marketing can boost a Technical Recruiter’s earnings significantly.
A successful track record of placements is also an attractive prospect for a hiring organization, proving that a Technical Recruiter is capable of fulfilling their requirements quickly and effectively.
Technical Recruiter Salary
A Technical Recruiter’s average earnings fall between $63,000 and $86,000 a year in the U.S., with the median sitting at $74,504.
What Is the Technical Recruiter Pay Difference by Location?
A Technical Recruiter’s job location affects earnings as follows:
|San Francisco, CA||$93,130|
|New York, NY||$89,629|
What Is the Technical Recruiter Pay Difference by Experience Level?
Depending on experience, a Technical Recruiter can expect the following salary variances:
|Experience Level||Average Salary|
|< 1 year||$70,789|
Technical Recruiter Job Description Template
[Company] is a specialist recruitment agency for IT and technical staff across all industries. We are looking for an experienced Technical Recruiter to help us secure new clients and deliver against their expectations.
If you are a good technician, a professional interviewer, and an expert client relationship manager, this is a perfect opportunity to apply those skills and achieve professional success.
The team you will join is made up of target-driven professionals who foster a healthy sense of competition to achieve results.
Technical Recruiter Job Responsibilities
- Maintaining and building a client base
- Agreeing on hiring briefs with your clients
- Interviewing and assessing candidates
- Presenting shortlisted applicants to the client
- Generating new and follow-on business
Required Skill Set
- Bachelor’s degree in Recruitment, HR, or a business discipline
- At least two years’ experience in technical recruitment
- Solid IT and technical knowledge
- Thorough knowledge of interview, assessment, and verification processes
- Expert client management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Ability to work under pressure in a competitive environment
Hiring Resources for Ambitious Companies
- Take the guesswork out of recruitment. Let powerful AI recruiting software identify the best applicants for you in no time
- Finding it difficult to choose between too many applicants? Save valuable time and hire the best people for the job with top applicant tracking systems
- Looking for top-performers to take your business to the next level? Check out the best executive recruiting software
- Enjoy fast and effective tracing of the right candidates for your vacancies with sourcing tools for recruiters
- Make it worthwhile for your top people to bring other qualified candidates on board with the best employee referral software
- Automate the onboarding process and ensure your new hires integrate into your team fast and without issue with the best onboarding software
- Understand your team better, identify their needs, and set up effective training with employee review software
- Are your HR processes laborious? Automate most of your daily administrative tasks with the best HR software solutions for small businesses on the market